Phew! First of all, let me say how absolutely giddy I am after reading your super kind words on my first movie rec post. Not to be overdramatic, but I love every single one of you. What’s more, I took the first piece of constructive feedback I’d received seriously and decided that, yes, I am going to (strive to) post film suggestions more often than just once per week. So, here I am a mere three days after my first film recommendation, armed with yet another feel-good flick: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013).
Why You Should Watch The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
You know what Walter Mitty is? An extremely underappreciated movie no one ever talks about (or at least they never do around me). I don’t know if it’s because the film failed to show up on most people’s radars or if you simply don’t trust Ben Stiller the Director, but I for one believe it’s a lovely “comfort-food” movie. Which brings us to the most important bit or when and why I think you should give Walter Mitty a shot:
- Colours, colours, colours! If you like your cinematography practically edible, this is the movie for you!
- For when you’re in the mood for something funny, but not a “proper” ha-ha comedy.
- Perfect for blanket weather; you snuggle up in your bed and let Walter go on the adventure of his life, while you clutch a cup of cocoa in your hands and stuff on popcorn or, say, waffles. Whatever does the trick.
- Iceland. That’s it. Trust me.
- Gorgeous indy soundtrack.
- Because it’s unexpectedly warm, inspiring in its own way and uplifting.
- Tired of cynicism? Go for it, my dude!
What About the 1947 Walter Mitty?
Here’s a disclaimer (boy, it sure feels like I love those, doesn’t it?): I haven’t seen the original and therefore cannot compare the 2013 version to the 1947 film starring legendary Danny Kaye. It might be that the original is better—as they often are—and that my appreciation of Stiller’s take on the source material stems directly from lack of comparison, but… perhaps it’s for the best.
Enjoyable and Silly? Okay!
To sum up, is The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) an A+ film? Perhaps not, but that doesn’t make it any less enjoyable. Not in the mood for a heavy Oscar-bait drama? Need something slightly silly and unburdening for a lazy Sunday afternoon? The Secret Life of Walter Mitty might be the answer. Just make sure you tell me all about it later, too!
Disclaimer pt.2: Again, if you’re the creator of the gif used, tell me and I’ll happily credit you (it does link to tumblr, but not a specific post, so).